Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Two Cent Tuesday


Welcome to a new weekly feature on the blog where I'll give my 2 Cents on a few topics and provide updates on some other sport matters.
n 
---The Estevan Bruins will begin the offseason with their spring camp on Friday afternoon. The players will register and take part in on-ice sessions until Sunday afternoon. I’ll have more on the spring camp later this week.

---This Saturday it’s the biggest fundraiser for Estevan Football as they will hold their football fundraising dinner at the Curling Rink. The guest speakers are Don Narcisse, Brendon LaBatte and Jay Onrait. This past weekend Estevan Minor Football announced that the dinner was officially sold out.

---With the NHL regular season over, it’s a perfect time for me to look back at my  preseason predictions. I was able to correctly guess 11 out of the 16 playoff teams. In the Western Conference I was 6 for 8. I thought Calgary and Anaheim would make the postseason while I didn’t think Phoenix and Nashville would make it. While in the East I was 5 for 8. I thought Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Carolina would make the postseason while I thought Ottawa, New Jersey and Florida would fall short.

--My preseason prediction for the Stanley Cup was Los Angeles and Boston. 

---My first round predictions. Eastern Conference. Rangers over Ottawa in 5. Boston over Washington in 7. New Jersey over Florida in 6. Pittsburgh over Philly in 7. Western Conference.  Los Angeles over Vancouver in 6. St. Louis over San Jose in 7. Chicago over Phoenix  in 6. Nashville over Detroit in 7.

--- My Stanley Cup Prediction Rangers over Nashville.

--- I think Jarome Iginla has played his last game with the Calgary Flames. I think the team will move into a  full rebuild mode and it will begin with the trade of Iginla and possibly Mikka Kipprusoff.

--- There’s plenty of excitement heading into the baseball season if you’re a Blue Jay fan. I think the Blue Jays can finish as high as second in the AL East. The Jays really need their 3-5 starters to be solid for them during the season. I believe the Jays will add another arm to their rotation thru a trade. Although after last night the bullpen concerns are still there from last season.

--- My World Series prediction. I’ll say Detroit over San Francisco.

--There will be some MMA news on the blog later today about the upcoming Hard Knocks card in Estevan at the beginning of June.

--Speaking of MMA, Canadian fans like me are anxious to hear what kind of card will be coming to Calgary in July. Jose Aldo will defend his Featherweight Title against an unnamed opponent. Even though we don’t know who Aldo’s opponent will be, I like Aldo’s odds of leaving Cowtown with the belt. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the card will look like. The beauty of MMA is sometimes the biggest names don’t make for the best cards. Although I'm still hoping for some big names in the co-main event. 

-- Thanks for reading the blog this morning, I'll be talking to you later.


n   

No comments: