Friday, July 6, 2012

Weekend Watching


The big news from the Bruins this week was the announcement of scholarships for Defenceman Dominic Perrault and Matthew Dochylo to Mount Royal and SAIT in Calgary. We’ll likely hear an announcement about the hockey future of the other 20 year old graduate from the Bruins this past season in  Derek Whitehill later in the summer.

I made a prediction in this blog a couple of weeks ago that the Minnesota Wild would be spending a lot of free agency at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in hopes of landing one. I didn’t think they would get both, but good for them.  A hockey market like Minnesota deserves some hockey success and hopefully this leads to a Winter Classic in Minnesota very soon.

What a shocker in Hamilton in Week 1 of the CFL. I’m one of the most optimistic Rider fans you’ll ever meet, but I didn’t even think there was any chance the Riders would leave Steel Town with a dominating win. I love the offensive strategy from the Riders in Week 1. Kory Sheets has a chance to be a top three running back this season. The more times he touches the ball, the better the Riders will be. I also liked the Riders short and effective passing game. 

I went 2-2 in my CFL picks last week as I guessed the Riders and BC would win last week. This week I’m picking all the home teams. Montreal, BC, Toronto, Saskatchewan.

If you’re a UFC fan like me, you’ve been waiting for the rematch of Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen for the last two years. Sonnen was within two minutes of becoming the first fighter to beat Silva in UFC before the Spider quickly turned the tables and submitted Sonnen back in August of 2010. My prediction for tomorrow night is Sonnen wins by decision and there will be controversy somehow.

Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin will meet in the final fight of Ortiz’s career. I’m picking Ortiz comes out on top with a win. 

Other UFC 148 main card picks

Cung Le over Patrick Cote
Dong Hyun Kim over Demian Maia
Chad Mendes over Cody McKenzie

Unless the Toronto Blue Jays trade for some pitching than they will finish 81-81. With the extra Wild Card in the MLB, I would like to see the Jays be buyers at the deadline and go after a veteran pitcher.

No comments: