Tuesday, June 11, 2013

So Long Estevan..Thanks for the Memories..




It’s been a month since I left my position of the Play by Play Announcer as the Estevan Bruins and Morning News & Sports Anchor for Goldenwest Radio. I was planning to post a final blog posting from Estevan around that time of my departure but the final weeks in Estevan were quite hectic and left me little time to wrap around my final thoughts.  During my holidays there were a couple of times I attempted to put together a blog posting but I suffered the famous “writers block”.

But first off I just want to thank the community of Estevan for the past 4+ years, I met some amazing people during my time in the Energy City and to list them all would be nearly impossible. Thanks to anyone that helped me out whether it was at the radio station, at the rink or anywhere else in the community.

There are a few memories that stick out in time in Estevan. One of them was being a part of the football program. When I first moved to Estevan I was shocked to find out there was no high school football program in the city, coming from an area with tiny communities that had 6 man football I just couldn’t believe a City with over 10,000 people didn’t have a high school team. I’m proud to have been a member of the Elecs football for their first 4 seasons of existence. 

 I really enjoyed my time as a coach for the Elecs and while the team didn’t win too many games, I believe the foundation has been made for future success. I want to thank Marco, Mark and the rest of the coaching staff for making the coaching experience so enjoyable, the players who were great to work and the volunteers of football in Estevan who are some of the hardest working people that I know. 

One of the things I enjoyed about my time in Estevan was the Fundraising Dinners, whether they were for Spectra Place or for the Football program. I had the chance to listen to a lot of great speakers over the years, but the one dinner that will always stick out in my mind is the dinner in March of 2010 which was highlighted by Steve Yzerman only a couple of weeks after Canada claimed Gold in Men’s Hockey of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. It was just amazing shaking the hand of Yzerman and getting to meet one of the greatest Captains in hockey history. 

One of my favorite days in Estevan was the Kraft Celebration Tour. It’s kind of weird thinking that Estevan will be the last stop for Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole in Saskatchewan as a part of the tour with the announcement that they will be leaving for FOX Sports One in LA next month. Jay and Dan were two of the nicest guys I have ever had the chance to interview. I was amazed by the energy Jay had in his suit despite the temperature being around +33 throughout Sportscentre. At the time Estevan had the largest attendance on the Kraft celebration Tour and it was great to see the community rally together after the severe floods from the spring of 2011.

But no doubt the best part of my job was being the voice for the Estevan Bruins. First I want to thank all the volunteers and staff of the Bruins organization, the fans, the parents of the players for all of their support over the years. I want to thank Karry Biette, Sean Garagan, Chad Leslie, Keith Cassidy and Cole Zahn for all of their help as coaches of the Bruins. They always made job a lot easier and were all very accessible for interviews whenever I needed them. 

The Estevan Bruin players were unbelievable to me. In my 5 years with the Bruins every single Bruins player was great to me and I really appreciated that.  It was unfortunate that the Bruins never achieved much success in the standings during my time with the team but I will always look back with fond memories because of the friendships I made with the team.

One of the guys who I have to give a special shutout is Lucas Stubel. There was no one in Estevan who I interviewed more  than Stubs, I think in his first year he was a little bit hesitant but soon enough he became my go to guy whenever I needed an interview from a Bruin. It was unfortunate that Stubel got injured late in his 20 year old season but if there was one benefit it was that he stepped inside of the booth to provide color commentary, a job he would continue to help me out for the last couple of years while he played Senior Hockey in Bienfait and Midale. Also I have to give a shout out to Mark Cross and Ty Ariss for being the other two players who were with the Bruins for my first three years with the team. 

There was only one player who was with the Bruins for 4 years during my time with the team and that was Dylan Smith. Smitty was an outstanding player on the ice and he always very accommodating to me with interviews, whether it was practice, after the game or when he was in Connecticut. I appreciate all the help he provided me over the years.

While I enjoyed all five years with the Bruins, my favorite was my third season with the Bruins (2010-11). There were a lot of great guys who were with the Bruins for that season only like Troy Hunter, Ben Findlay, Joel Kot, Joel Danyluk, and others. Along with the vets there were a lot of talented rookies on the team including Josh Jelinski, Ryan Ostertag, Eric Baldwin, Cole Olson. With the mix of vets and rookies it made for a great locker room atmosphere, and while the team failed on their high expectations, I looked back at that year with fond memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I also have to give a special shutout to Cole Olson. It’s been a lot of fun watching Olly play over the last three years, it almost seemed like yesterday I was chasing him in Battlefords for our first interview. On the ice, Olly was the hardest working player who gave it all on every night. Off the ice, while he didn’t say too much, everyone loved Olly and you will never hear anyone ever say a bad word about Olly.
\
Other players who I just want to say thanks for everything they’ve done for me during my time in Estevan include Matthew Dochylo, Chris Daniels, Michael Hengen, Calder Neufeld, Dominic Perrault, Matt Brykaliuk, Tanner Froese, Tyler Poskus, Austin Yano just too name a few, I know I’m missing some names but like I said the list would be too long to name it all.  

I’ve just started my new position in Humboldt as an Assistant Producer for Access Communications. You may see my face (and hear my voice) with the SJHL broadcasts on Access in the fall.
 
I plan on keeping this blog running, there probably won’t be much material for the next bit while I get settled in the new job. I might just post some random thoughts of mine in the sports world while I get settled back in the local scene. 

 I also plan on producing/hosting Locker Talk in Humboldt so check back for details on that in the future.  I do plan on making some changes as compared to the show I did in Estevan but I have no timetable yet on when I will start that up. 

And while I look back on my days in Estevan fondly, I’m excited to be back home and seeing the familiar faces in my life once again. I hope you come back and see the world of sports through my eyes.

No comments: