Friday, December 2, 2011

Thoughts On Dec. 1 Trades

It was a tough day yesterday as the Bruins made three deals to get their roster down to 22 players, as Jeff Bartel, Lyndon Soper and Ryan Ostertag were all traded yesterday. 

It's tough to see all three players go, they were great characters and brought a lot to the Bruins organization.

I had a chance to speak with all three guys yesterday and obviously they're disappointed that they are leaving Estevan. All three were proud to wear the Bruins jersey and to be apart of the team.

Bartel is a great guy and hopefully he continues to improve on the ice and finds success with the Stampeders, as the Steinbach product is now playing close to home.  Bartel was well liked by his teammates and was a very easy player to deal with. I enjoyed meeting him and his family and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Soper showed a lot of promise over the past few  weeks as he was starting to get more ice time, hopefully in Neepawa Soper will keep getting better. Off the ice, Soper has a great sense of humour. I've watched a lot games with him in the stands throughout the season and he did a great job of making me laugh. I'm really going to miss Soaps.

It's definitely tough to see Ryan Ostertag leave Estevan. On the ice, when Ostertag is playing with confidence he can be an elite player in the SJHL. I think he has one of the best shots in the league and he definitely has the potential to be a point per game player.

Off the ice, Ostertag is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He always helped me out whenever I needed an interview or last year when I needed someone in the booth. I can't thank him enough for everything he has done for me over the past couple of years, and hopefully he finds success in Nipawin.

It won't be long though before we see Ostertag back at Spectra Place, the Bruins host the Nipawin Hawks at Spectra Place tomorrow night at 7:30.

No comments: