Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Two Cent Tuesday



-- It was a quiet week for the Bruins as they only had the one game on Saturday at home against Weyburn. The Bruins won 5-1 for their first win at Spectra Place this season. The Bruins have struggled against Weyburn over the last few years so it was nice to see the Bruins pick up an early season win against their arch rivals.

-- Yorkton is another team that has caused a lot of problems for the Bruins over the last few years.It's important for the Bruins to pick up some wins early in the season against Yorkton.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Terriers for the first time in person tonight.

-- The Bruins and Red Wings rivalry got a little bit more interesting with Weyburn acquiring ex Bruin Ryan Ostertag from the Nipawin Hawks. It should be a good move for Ostertag since he's playing closer to home in Regina and should be getting a lot of ice time with the Red Wings. I'm sure the former Bruin will be extra motivated whenever he is playing against his former team.

-- The Saskatchewan Roughriders are picking the right time of the year to play their best football. The Riders were ready to play from the opening whistle yesterday in their win against Toronto and they didn't let up until the final play of the game. Brandon West did a good job of filling in for Jock Sanders. The offensive line had a strong game and are the biggest reason for the Riders turnaround on the field in 2012.

-- The 13th Man Engraved on a Nation documentary aired last night and I thought it was ok at best.  Actually the more I think about it, the more I don't like it. I didn't really like the idea of the 13th man as the topic of the Saskatchewan Roughrider and the Grey Cup. The filmmaker tried to capture the fan's passion for the Roughriders and I think that's so hard to do in 60 minute documentary. There's a million stories when it comes to the Riders and their fans and it's hard to capture it with only the 5 or 6 they profiled. I also wished they talked more about what happened to the players after the 09 Grey Cup like current Riders like Darian Durant or Chris Getzlaf or players like Chris Szarka or Jason Clermont who didn't win a Grey Cup after the 13th man.

-- Better ideas for the Riders in the Engraved in Nation series. Roger Aldag and his career with the Riders from the 70's and then finally winning it in 89 or Kent Austin and leading  the Riders to the Grey Cup as player in 89 and as a coach in 2007.

-- Speaking of sports documentaries, I'm looking forward to the ESPN 30 for 30 feature with Ben Johnson titled 9.79*. Mind you I enjoy most of the 30 for 30 series, my favorites so far have been The U with the Miami Hurricanes, Run Ricky Run (Ricky Williams) Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL and King's Ransom (Wayne Gretzky). I will mention I haven't seen all of the films yet.

-- My preseason pick for the World Series was Detroit and San Francisco. If you ask me today, my pick would be Detroit and Cincinnati.

-- I'll have the call for tonight's Bruins and Terrier on the webcast, you can tune in at http://sjhl.neulion.com/sjhl/.

No comments: