Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Two Cent Tuesday


-- It's hard to believe that it's already September. It seems like every year July and August are the fastest months of the year (even after I finished school) It's exciting that the Bruins will start their season on Friday with training camp. The Black and Gold scrimmage is set for Sunday at 3:00 at Spectra Place.

-- It's going to be weird not seeing Dylan Smith, Michael Hengen, Josh Jelinski, and Eric Baldwin with the Bruins this season. Smith and Hengen were with the Bruins for the last three years while Jelinski and Baldwin were with the club for a pair of seasons. I got along great with all four guys and will definitely miss seeing them around the rink

-- Some players have already arrived in Estevan and most of them should be back in town within the next couple of days. Over the next couple of days I'll have some audio from players as we head into training camp.

-- I do have high expectations for the Bruins this year. I'm entering my fifth year broadcasting for the team and they haven't finished higher than fourth during that time. I have a feeling that they will be able to top that mark this year, but we'll have to wait and see

-- If there's a lockout in the NHL will it have an impact on the SJHL? I really don't think many people stay at home to watch NHL around here in Estevan. But who knows, maybe the Bruins will increase their attendance from last year which topped the league

-- Football Day in Estevan has added some star power with Rider legends Scott Schultz and Don Narcisse set to speak on Saturday during the ceremonies. All four football teams will be in action beginning with the Atom Miners at 11:00. The ECS Elecs kick off their season at 5:00 against Weyburn. (More on that this week)

-- It was great to see the Riders snap out of their funk on Sunday against the Bombers with a 52-0 win. I was impressed with the play of Brooks Foster and Jock Sanders. Taj Smith is continuing to establish himself as a legitimate threat for the receiving core. If those three guys can step down the stretch I really think the Riders can make a second half run.

-- I'm really excited about the NFL starting tomorrow. Here's my playoff picks AFC Denver, Baltimore, Houston, New England, Buffalo, Cincinnati NFC San Francisco, Green Bay, Carolina, Philadelphia, New York Giants, Detroit. My super bowl pick San Francisco over Houston. (And yes I'm a die hard 49er fan)

-- Tonight's my fantasy football draft. I'm picking 9th out of 12. If I had the first overall pick, I would take Baltimore RB Ray Rice.

-- I'll have some more audio this week of some MMA fighters competing at Hard Knocks 28 next Friday in Estevan.

-- Speaking of MMA, Wade Baldwin and Derek Daku are my scheduled guests for Locker Talk this week.

No comments: