Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday Thoughts


-- I usually post my thoughts on Tuesdays but this I'm a little bit a late with them. It's been a very busy week as this morning we launched our brand new radio station Rock 106 FM in Estevan. Obviously the music format will be rock. It will mostly be classic Rock but will feature newer rock as well. The early reviews have been great. If you're not in the Estevan area, you can tune into at discoverestevan.com

-- It was great to be back Spectra Place covering the Estevan Bruins for another season on the weekend. Training camp was full of great talent and I really believe the Bruins will have a strong lineup this season with a mix of veterans and rookies.

-- If the training camp is any indication the top two lines for the Bruins could be Calder Neufeld- Cole Olson-Hudson Morrison and Taylor Reich- Matt Brykaliuk- Tanner Froese. If Morrison is playing on that line with Olson and Neufeld, then I think he has a great shot of being named the league's rookie of the year. And a Reich- Brykaliuk- Froese line has the makings to be a line that has a great mix of skill and grit.

-- Heading into training camp the blueline looked like it will be most interesting position for the team and that's certainly the case. Connor Milligan had a strong camp and it will be interesting how big of impact on the team this year after missing time last year with a concussion.

-- If you're heading to the game tonight against the Weyburn Red Wings, expect some veterans to be out of the lineup as the Bruins Coaching staff take a look at the rest of the roster.

-- This week on Locker Talk, Lucas Stubel joins me as look back at the last four years with the Estevan Bruins. We talk about the best scorers, top defencemen, best goals, and so much more. If you're a Bruins fan I would recommend tuning in on Thursday at 6:30 on Access 7. 

-- On Friday night Estevan will be hosting Hard Knocks 28 at Spectra Place. Right now the card is stacked with 17 fights. For the last year I've been impressed with the quality of fights with Hard Knocks. They've provided some great fights and I'm sure we'll see more on Friday night. I'll have a preview late tomorrow night/early Friday morning.

-- What's worse 52-0 or 25-24? I think Blue Bomber fans are saying 25-24 after the loss on Sunday. I thought Drew Willy did a great job of stepping in for Darian Durant and leading to the Riders on a late fourth quarter drive. If Durant is ready to go there's no doubt he should play on Sunday but the Riders should have confidence in Willy.

-- I think Tim Burke has lost his chance to be the Head Coach of the Bombers next year after Sunday's blunder. Unless the Bombers go on some kind of run late in the season.

-- Football fans rejoiced on Sunday with the return of the NFL. I tried to watch as much as I can. As a 49er fan does it get any better than beating the Packers in Week 1. In the words of Bart Scott I "Can't Wait" till the home opener against the Detroit Lions on Sunday Night Football.

-- Just a prediction..NHL starts Jan.1 (I prefer to start in November but it doesn't look too good right now)

No comments: