Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Ramblings



-- There's nothing better in Hockey than a Game 7, especially with a chance to the Stanley Cup Finals on the line. Which team would the Canucks rather face? I think the Bruins would be a tougher matchup against the Canucks since they have more depth up front, a more solid defensive unit and better goaltending. I do think the Lightning have better special teams, and their top end players are better. Irregardless who wins, it's going to be the Canucks toughest matchup this post season.

-- Manny Malhorta's return from his eye injury is a great story. Will he play in the finals? I got the feeling it's one of those ace up the sleeves for the Canucks

-- Ben Findlay became the 4th Bruin player to commit themselves to post secondary school this offseason. I think there may be 2 more announcements in the soon future about graduating Bruin players.

-- Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz insists the incoming Winnipeg team won't be called the Jets. Count me as one of those guys who hope they don't call it the Manitoba Moose. There's just something weird about naming your NHL team after a AHL team. Especially an AHL team that was in town the year before.

-- CFL Football starts next week, and I'm excited about the Riders chances this year. Why do I like their chances? It's because of their two biggest offseason acquisitions in Greg Marshall and Richie Hall. The Riders D will be an improved unit this year.

-- So will the Riders specials team, but that's kind of obvious isn't it.

-- The big rumor for the Blue Jays this week is they are interested in Mets Shortstop Jose Reyes. I have my doubts about that. Yunel Escbobar is doing fine in the position, and while Reyes is a great player, I'm not sure I would pay a big money deal for a shortstop.

-- The Jays have some great pieces. Jose Bautista, Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow, Kyle Drabek, Adam Lind and JP Arencibia form a solid core for the Jays, the problem is their depth. I think the Jays are going to be a threat in 2012, especially if MLB adds another team in the post season.

Happy weekend everyone

No comments: