Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Thoughts



The off season is underway in Junior A Hockey scene across Canada and over the next week I'll take an early look at the 2011-2012 Estevan Bruins. Like many teams in the SJHL, this season will be about "reloading" since the Bruins are losing 9 20 year old players.

Some of the Bruin players are preparing for some off season camps. Right now Dylan Smith is competing in a prospects tournament in Boston. Smitty was at a Red Sox game last week and I sent him the message he should throw a slice of pizza at someone. He replied that no one was in front of him since he was sitting right behind the dugout. (Tough life eh!)

Eric Baldwin and Ryan Ostertag are also set to head to Boston this summer.

Another Bruins scholarship is going to be announced this week.

The Humboldt Broncos have begun preparing for the 2012 RBC Cup, and their fall training camp will be interesting, I heard there could be upwards of 32 Junior Experienced players in camp. (That's either WHL or Junior A experience) I think it's obvious the Broncos are the favorites, but that's why they play the games on the ice.

I'll make my picks for the Conference Finals later this week. Isn't it amazing the depth the Boston Bruins have? Tyler Seguin the 2nd overall pick has been a healthy scratch this playoff, but will step into the lineup this weekend for Patrice Bergeron.

Hopefully the new stadium proposal goes through for the Minnesota Vikings. I'm not Vikings fans, but us Canadian NFL fans need some teams close to the border. Especially since getting a ticket at Lambeau Field is near impossible.

Did anyone take Doug Ford seriously when he said the New Orleans Saints were one of the teams Toronto was looking at relocating. I don't think we'll see the NFL in Toronto for a long time. The Jets will be back in Winnipeg before that happens. (I know that's a safe bet.)

The main event for UFC 130 of Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard has been postponed with both fighters suffering injuries. At least it sounds like they'll face each other in the fall so it doesn't sound long term, but it's disappointing to hear another champion fight is delayed right after the injury to Jon "Bones" Jones.

Did anyone see the Maxim Top 100 list. I don't have a problem with the 100 that were selected, but I do with a couple that weren't selected. Blake Lively would easily make my top 10, and probably my number 1 pick didn't even make the list. Kate Upton. I would be shocked if she's not next year's Swimsuit Covergirl for Sports Illustrated.

No comments: