Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two Cent Tuesday

Summer has officially begun for the Junior A Hockey after the RBC Cup wrapped up on Sunday in Humboldt. On Sunday I was thinking back to the opening night for the Bruins when they opened up Spectra Place and how much has happened during the season. While I'm looking forward to another hockey season, I'm looking forward to spending some summer holidays first.

Congrats to the Humboldt Broncos and the community of Humboldt for their job of hosting the RBC Cup.

The next big dates in the SJHL calender will be the signing of prospects to cards beginning on June 1 and the SJHL scheduling meetings in early June. Estevan will be hosting the Hall of Fame game sometime in the early part of the season.

A few of the Estevan Bruins got started with their offseason training a couple of weeks ago as they attended a camp in Boston. Dylan Smith, Calder Neufeld, Austin Yano, Tanner Froese and Tyler Kauk took part from the Bruins. I haven't talked to any of the players yet but I talked to some Bruins personnel and they said it was very successful trip. I'll have to ask those guys if they spent any time on the golf course and if they did I'll ask them if they seen Red Sox Pitcher Josh Beckett on the golf course.

Speaking of Dylan Smith, I saw him and the rest of the Tarpon Energy Big Dogs win their Lacrosse opener on Saturday 9-8 in a very entertaining game against the Yorkton Bulldogs. The Big Dogs don't have another home game until June and hopefully they will be able to play some games in Spectra Place this season. I know the Big Dogs are hoping to host the All-Star Game and the league playoffs at Spectra Place in the future but first they need to host some regular season games.

This is a year I really should've went into a lot more playoff drafts since I predicted the Rangers and Kings would make the final four. Plus how many people really thought the Devils and Coyotes would be in the Conference Finals.  My predictions this round is Rangers in 7 and the Kings in 6.The biggest reason why I thought the Rangers would do well this playoffs because Henrik Lundquist would be the best player in this year's playoff. I'm not sure he's number one but he's in a discussion with Dustin Brown and Mike Smith.

I'm enjoying the Roughriders signing all these players who were high NFL picks in recent years.I'm starting to think I can make a roster of current Roughrider players on one of my old Madden games. Guys like Dwayne Jarrett and Sinorice Moss were highly touted prospects once upon a time and hopefully a successful trip through Saskatchewan will lead them back to the NFL.

There's still room to register for the Scott Schultz Football Camp on June 2&3. There is an unique opportunity for the football players in Estevan and a strong turnout could lead to more camps in Estevan.

I finally recovered my sore throat and will be joined with Hard Knock's Derek Daku and Phil Zajac on this week's edition of Locker Talk.

Why does it seem like it always rain at least for at least one day on the May long weekend?

Even if it rains, I hope you enjoy your long weekend.

No comments: