Saturday, November 17, 2012

Weekend Watching


--  A rare weekend for me with no Bruins hockey to cover. The Bruins are off until Friday when they host the La Ronge Ice Wolves at Spectra Place. With the weekend off the Bruins travelled to Grand Forks to visit the University of North Dakota and watch the Fighting Sioux in action yesterday.

Other thoughts from the sporting world.

-- If you're a Blue Jays fan how can you not be excited right now. It's fair to say that Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buerhle and Melky Cabrera all have question marks but it's been almost 20 years since the Jays added this many quality players in one offseason. The one question mark that these players don't have is age (Buerhle may be turning 34 in March but could be a useful player for a few years) With the Yankees getting older and the Red Sox rebuilding the time is now for the Blue Jays.

-- The Saskatchewan Roughriders season came to an end on Sunday and many people are debating if the success or a failure. Considering the state the franchise was in one year ago, I would call it a success but not a big time success. I think the expectation for the team heading into the season would be to finish either 2nd or 3rd. I believe Darian Durant comments were right when he said it was tough for the offence to gel when the receivers were constantly changing. I do like the offense they have returning next year along with Jock Sanders the only needed upgrade is Canadian Receiving whether that means Chris Getzlaf is more consistent and a healthy Rob Bagg or some new players through the draft/free agency. The Riders do need some work on defence, especially in the secondary.

-- Now that baseball and the Riders seasons are over, I think it's now where I'm going to really feel the effects of the NHL lockout. It sure doesn't seem like there's going to be any hockey this year. I have been watching a lot more NCAA College Football with the absence of NHL, I also try and catch up some WHL hockey whenever I can.

-- UFC 154 is tonight which means the return of GSP, Georges St. Pierre. It will be GSP and Carlos Condit in a welterweight title unification bout and my prediction is the Canadian hero will take it by decision. I'm a little surprised UFC President Dana White announced if GSP wins that he'll face Anderson Silva in May, I actually believed it would be GSP vs Nick Diaz, and you never know with UFC it could still be.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments: