Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Saying Good-Bye

The 2010-2011 Estevan Bruins may have only lasted until the 2nd round, but this year's team was one the best teams I've ever been around. Every player was a great person and brought a little something to the team.

Over the last few days, the team has said good-bye to each other, and I just wanted to say a few things about the 9 20 year old players who are moving on from Junior Hockey.

#1 Joel Danyluk. Everywhere Danyluk goes, the community falls in love with him. When we went to La Ronge in December, the crowd gave Danyluk such a warm reception. At every public event the Bruins helped out with, Danyluk would always provide a helping hand. Danyluk is such a great character and Estevan was lucky to have him in town for one season.

#10 Ryan Andersen. The native of Wainwright will have the distinction of scoring the final Bruins goal inside of the Civic Auditorium, and the way the season unfolded it was kind of fitting. Andersen carried the team in October and November. Andersen is such a hard worker off the ice and it was a pleasure getting to know Andy over the last year and a half.

#19 Jonathan Ceci. He may have only been in Estevan for 2 months, but he was nothing but clutch in his time here. Ceci scored 2 shootout winners along with several final minute goals. It takes a kid with strong character to bond with a team in 2 months, and character is something Ceci holds.

#7 Ben Findlay. Findlay was one of the strong character players on the team. He provided one of the great moments of the season with his last second goal in Kindersley. In the final post game, Chad Leslie says Findlay would make a great coach someday. And I know after the game one of the things me and Finds talked about was how great of a coach Bob Beatty is. If Findlay chooses to take that route someday, I have no doubt we'll see him behind some great hockey team bench, I know first hand he can handle the media, he was such a great interview.

#21 Joel Kot. Unfortunately I don't think we seen the best of Kot this season in Estevan. Kot battled injuries all season. If Kot was healthy, the sky was the limit. But saying that, he did provide many memories on the ice, but more importantly there was more off the ice. Kot has a great personality and provided me some great laughs in the press box. I have no doubt Kot will be playing some University hockey this season.

#15 Troy Hunter. It's a shame we only got to see Hunter in Estevan for one season. I've been in Estevan for 3 years, and I've been lucky to deal with 3 great captains in Kyle Garagan, Colton McPherson and now Hunter. Hunter's play in the Survivor Series may have been the most dominating individual performances I have ever seen in Junior Hockey, Hunter took the team on his back and carried them. Hunter was a great leader off the ice and I thought he did a great job with the C. Hunter is one guy I can honestly say I've become friends with over the last year and I know he'll be playing hockey somewhere next year.

#8 Ty Ariss. One of the 3 year vets with the Bruins team. Ariss is a solid 2 way defenceman and provided some exciting moments over the years. He could score, make a defensive play and drop the mitts if needed. Ariss gave it his all in every game for the past 3 years, and it was a pleasure meeting Ariss over these last 3 years. Hopefully Ariss is playing some University hockey in Canada next season.

#18 Mark Cross. For the last 3 years it has been a pleasure getting to know Cross. In the 3 years I've gotten to know him he has been nothing but first class with me. He always provided me with a great conversation, and he always helped out his team. He was one of the best 2 way forwards in the SJHL and got rewarded already for his Junior play as he's heading to York University to play hockey next year. I can't imagine calling another Bruin game without Cross. It's been a pleasure watching Cross grow up over the last 3 years.

#17 Lucas Stubel. If there's anyone who defines being an Estevan Bruin, it's Lucas Stubel. Stubel gave his heart and soul for the Bruins team. Starting out as #8 d-man in his rookie year, Stubel worked hard on and off the ice over the last 3 years to become the player that he is today. Stubel was a great role model for any kid in Estevan who some day wants to play with the Bruins team. Stubel always helped me out when I needed something. Whether it was an interview, color commentary when he was hurt. It's been a treat getting to know Lucas and his entire family for the past 3 years, and I look forward to watching Stubel play University hockey in the future.

I can't thank the Bruins enough for all the help they provided me over the past year. They always helped me as a broadcaster and I'm happy to call them friends. I look forward to seeing some of the guys in the summer, but more importantly for a lot of these guys, I can't wait to see them on the ice again.

No comments: